Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sharing memories

What a wonderful idea. My kids are asking all the time about what was it like when I was growing up, or to remind them of memories from when they were small. This past week Mom was telling me that she ran into a woman who used to be in the teen group when they were the counselers. She remembered the camping trips, as I do. I don't remember alot about them but the swimming, and perhaps that is because I wasn't a strong swimmer yet. I do remember Juniper Springs and Alexandria Springs in Ocala and canoeing at one of them. I don't even know if there are still open camp grounds there. I do remember having fun, and now I wonder if Mom and Dad ever had second thoughts about taking so many teens (boys and girls) into the woods together by themselves? I know times have changed (and not always for the better), but I wonder if they got the enjoyment out of it, that all of you did, and even myself, tho I can't remember much but the swimming. All of the good stuff must have gone on after I was forced to go to bed! :-)

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Robin - Yes, we believe the campgrounds are still open.

And yes, Mom and Dad were brave (or naive) and ENERGETIC to take on responsibility for all of us. On at least one occasion Mom had to pull at least one couple out of a sleeping bag. She tells me they proclaimed their platonic innocence, but knowing those kids on a peer level, I say, "SERIOUSLY...did you really expect her to believe that?"