Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Memories from the grey haired one

I do remember the camping trips that were lots of fun, lots of planning and work and so worth it. Besides that's all we could afford at that time. How about camping with the pop-up camper under the western sky near the Mesa Verde Indian dwellings. I sure felt the presence of those ancient people. Or waking up to find a beautiful lake when all we were impressed with the night before was having a pit toilet. I guess we were so intent on making memories that we got carried away. Coasting down that hill and praying for a service station to fix the oil leak on our Ford wagon that wouldn't start when it got hot. God sure had a lot to do to keep all of us safe. We kept pushing our luck! Even on the back roads, Dad sure loved to explore. The 3 trips across the Howard Franklin when we couldn't figure how to get back to Clearwater or wherever we lived then. This will be a fun time as I tell you more of my thoughts and how I remember our many adventures. We did a lot on faith and I still do. Love you all and the photos are great.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

We had a lot of great vacations, but that one was surely the best. The first (I think) night in the Panhandle when we woke to the sound of a train coming (surely!) straight for our pop-up; the cool kitchen box dad made for your dry foods and dishes for all those meals you made on the road.

Finding that huge lake just steps away from our campsite in the morning was amazing - what lake was that anyway? Were we in Arkansas or Missouri? I remember it was a Corp of Engineers facility.

Mesa Verde WAS magnificent - to think they let us walk through much of the mesas - as was Rocky Mountain National Park with its aspens and beaver dams and the waterfalls. Camping beside that stream in New Mexico (I think), and the night in the pine interior motel in Jackson Hole - too cold to camp-, and the time at Grand Canyon. Didn't we go into some Caverns also? Was it Carlsbad?

I had forgotten about all the trouble with the station wagon...it kept overheating, didn't it.

Bruce, Robin, Susan - what are some of your favorite memories of that trip?

What an awesome adventure that was.

Sandy said...

And that trip back and forth across the Howard Frankland causeway is a great memory for me, because I remember you and dad laughing about it when you realized we were headed across the bay AGAIN (about time 3 or 4) - no harsh words from either one of you (unlike one of my pre-David boyfriends.) We kids were getting to stay up late because of it - what did we care?

Anonymous said...

This really has nothing to do with the memories of trips but Sandy mentioned about driving in circles several times and Grandma and Grandpa just having a great laugh about it...I honestly do not remember a time when they argued or even had a disagreement! Although Grandpa did have a habit of saying, "yes, dear." Now that I've been in a relationship for a couple years I really wonder how they were able to communicate so well. Its truly something I strive for in my own life and something I really cherish :) (who knew that one of the most valuable things I could receive from my grandparents would be in the form of a loving relationship between the two of them??)

Robin said...

ahhhh the trip out west. I have a few memories. I remember sitting in the back of the station wagon when we left Emerald lane- and I had some little wind up thing that played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star; I remember Mesa Verde - and some type of Indian dance or something. Think I managed to come out with an Indian bracelet. I also recall staying in a cabin one night because it was too cold for the camper. Also recall bears stealing our food one day when we were gone from the camp sight. Oh- and the snacks in the car. The one time when candy was allowed more freely :-)